FEATURE: Applying for Funding
Are you considering applying for funding? Before you do, ensure you take note of these quick-reference steps:
As soon as eligibility is determined, researchers must notify the Coordinator, Research & Funding Support of their intent to apply for research funding.
The purpose of the notification of intent to apply procedure is to:
- Provide the Coordinator with the URL link to the sponsor’s guidelines in preparation for grant submission process.
- Express intent to submit an application for preliminary comprehensive review.
- Assist the Coordinator in the tracking of applications, facilitation of signatures, and submission of applications to the sponsor by the specified deadline.
- Before submitting an application, applicants must
- Follow the application instructions that are provided by the funding agency. Applicants are responsible for reviewing and understanding the agency submission process and the University of Alberta’s policies and procedures.
- Obtain all required signatures including:
- Agency required signatures
- U of A required signatures
- Submit the final, signed electronic version (PDF) of the application to me a minimum of seven business days before the sponsor deadline to ensure that the application is reviewed and returned to you by the Research Facilitation Office (RFO) in a timely manner. Unless original signatures are required by the sponsor, applications must be submitted as one complete PDF document; separate files will not be accepted.
- Submit a signed hard copy of the funding agency’s signature page(s) to the Coordinator.
- Submit a signed hard copy of the completed “Create Application/Proposal/Project” form in Researcher Home Page to the Coordinator.
- Submit a signed hard copy of the U of A Supplementary Signature Page (attached), if needed, to my office.
- This signature page is required if there is insufficient space on the sponsor’s application form for all required signatures, or if there will be any University of Alberta co-investigators who are not from the FoN.
- Please ensure that all boxes are checked as required.
NOTE: The Coordinator will facilitate obtaining signatures on behalf of the Faculty of Nursing (Dean) only. Principal Investigators are responsible for obtaining all other required signatures before submitting their completed applications to me. Scanned and faxed copies of the signature pages are acceptable unless the funding agency requires hard copies. Digital signatures will not be accepted.
Please remember the following points when completing your budget:
- Researchers must apply for 20% indirect costs relative to the total cost of the research agreement with the exception of Tri-Council grants and those others that do not allow this line item (contact funding agency for confirmation).
- If librarian services are required, researchers should include this in their budget (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details).
If the use of the Health Research Data Repository (HRDR) is required, researchers should include this in their budget (contact email@example.com for details).
For more details about what you need to remember when applying for funding, please download the 2014-2015 Pre-Application Handbook.
All questions can be directed to:
Coordinator, Research & Funding Support
Programs & Events
Posters, Presentations & Publications: Sharing your Undergraduate Research
You’ve done (or started!) a research project, and now you’re ready to share it with the world. How do you do that? Where do you start? This session will introduce students to different ways of sharing your research: undergraduate journals, posters, and presentations. Learn about publication and presentation opportunities for U of A students, and get some hands-on experience with the process of planning and presenting a research poster.
Participants are welcome and encouraged to bring examples of their own work (completed or in progress) for feedback.
Date: Thursday, July 30, 2015
Time: 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Location: 1-498 ECHA
Free! Register HERE.
- Bridge Funding for 2014 Foundation and March 2015 OOGP Applications
- Change in Application Limits for Project Scheme
- Nomination for the CIHR College of Reviewers
- Final Launch of the Knowledge Translation & Commercialization Funding Opportunities
- Final Launch of the New Investigator Salary Award Program
- Notice of Our Name Change on the Education & Research Archive (ERA)
- Special Consideration for the Project Scheme: Partnered/Integrated Knowledge Translation (iKT) Projects
- Updates to the Canadian Common CV (CCV)
- Summary of Foundation 2014 Stage 2 Review Process
- Resources for Preparation of the Foundation 2015 Stage 1 Application
- Workshops and Webinars to Support Applicants to the Foundation 2015 Competition
- CIHR Funding Opportunities & Awards
- CIHR Trainee Funding Opportunities & Awards
- Pre-Announcement: Healthy & Productive Work Initiative
- CIHR University Delegate News
- Support for CIHR Competitions
- Subscribe to CIHR’s Funding News
- About the Program
- Subscribe to the University of Alberta Grant Assist Program (Health Sciences) E-Bulletin