Programs & Events
CIHR Information Webinars for Students on Awards in Health Research
CIHR is offering information webinars about CIHR award programs as well as recent improvements made to programs. Information will also be provided on relevant CIHR policies, tips for applicants, and guidelines on how to submit an application. There will be plenty of time to ask questions. Please click on the below links to register for the session you are interested in attending:
- Tuesday, September 8 from 9:00 – 10:30 am MDT (English)
- Wednesday, September 9 from 9:00 – 10:30 am MDT (French)
- Thursday, September 10 from 11:30 – 1:00 pm (English)
11th Annual Covenant Health Research Day
Call for Abstracts
The Covenant Health Research Centre (CHRC) invites abstracts to be considered for presentation at the 2016 Covenant Health Research Day titled:
“Resilience – patient, practitioner, and community, and the potential for transforming health and health care delivery”
Research Day Objectives:
- Bring together practitioners, researchers, academics, and community to discuss emerging research related to resilience and health
- Showcase research in Covenant Health, Alberta academic institutions and partner organizations, with an emphasis on palliative and end of life care, seniors, addictions, mental health, and vulnerable and marginalized populations
- Include a Keynote address that will consolidate research evidence, leading practices and emerging questions to guide future research
- Feature lectures from well-established researchers, demonstrating how their research has impacted practice and health outcomes
Submissions are invited on topics related to the research objectives such as:
- Resilience and its impact on health outcomes
- The relationship between resilience and healthcare providers, patients, friends, family, community and healthcare outcomes
- Programs and tools that promote resilience in patient / resident care and self-care, in the community setting
- Resilience and self-care for healthcare providers
- Educational methods that integrate resilience training for health care providers
- The role of resilience on health-related decision making
- Tools and other ancillaries that help promote resilience
The Research Day sessions will allow researchers to:
- Present their research findings
- Show how their research findings can impact – or have impacted, health and health care practice
- Make recommendations for changes to current systems, including development of supporting tools and ancillaries
- Provide recommendations for further research in areas of need
Please state whether you would like your submission to be considered for an oral or poster presentation. Approximate time allotment for oral presentations is 15 to 30 minutes + 5 minutes Q&A.
Submit abstracts to: email@example.com
Deadline for submission: September 18, 2015
For further information, contact Oge Ezeh at the CHRC: 780.735.2274 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
International Forum on Quality & Safety in Healthcare
Dates: September 28-30, 2015
Location: Hong Kong
Building on 20 years of success, the International Forum on Quality and Safety in Healthcare: Asia will showcase internationally recognised keynotes and address regional needs. The International Forum: Asia will bring the best of international learning to the region and has been developed in close partnership with regional strategic partners.
The Asia Forum is shaping into a very strong first event with over 1000 delegates due to attend. If your organisation plans to attend, we recommend registering as soon as possible as the sessions are filling fast and booked on a first come first served basis.
The Programme includes 24 conference sessions to choose from in 7 learning Streams. Keynote speakers will showcase the very best of international and regional thinking in quality and safety in healthcare.
- Accreditation and Credentialing
- Achieving Universal Healthcare
- Leading patient safety improvement and Measurement
- Improvement Methodologies (e.g. how to measure infection control)
- Quality Improvement Toolkit and Measurement full day courses
- Visits to key Hong Kong healthcare sites to get direct insight
For more information, click HERE.
To register, click HERE.
26th Annual Palliative Care Conference
Registration is now open for the Palliative Care Education and Research Days, October 26 – 27, 2015. Take advantage of the Early Bird rates until Sept 11, 2015!
This year’s theme, Time to talk about palliative and end-of-life care, will provide front line caregivers with information and support to help serve their palliative patients. The Covenant Health Palliative Institute champions a future where every Albertan can make informed decisions about their end-of-life care and where caregivers have the knowledge, expertise and resources to support them.
Learn about palliative care needs and enhance your knowledge of the practical aspects of care and of end-of-life issues. Explore current trends, issues and research with our invited guest experts and your colleagues.
For more information and to register, click HERE.
The Fantasyland Hotel is offering a special room rate for conference attendees. When you call to inquire, please inform them that you are a Palliative Care Conference attendee —you can call the reservations department for more information at 780.444.3000 or toll-free at 1.800.737.3783. The special rate is available until Sept. 25, 2015.
Click the above poster for more information, to submit an abstract, and to register today!
You are Invited to Join the NFPN Network!
Digital Health Nursing Faculty Peer Leader Network (NFPN)
Canadian Schools of Nursing (CASN) & Canada Health Infoway
An Invitation to Nursing Faculty to Participate
Nurse Educator colleagues in Alberta are invited to take advantage of this great learning opportunity. Peer Leaders will support and coach participants to explore ways for developing and integrating specific learning materials about informatics and consumer health solutions in their theory and clinical courses. There is not a specific learning program that will be delivered by the Peer Leaders. Nursing faculty decide what areas of digital health they would like to learn more about, and create a learning plan with their Peer Leader. The NFPN will be available from April 2015 – March 2016.
What’s in it for me?
- Assisting your students to be prepared for working with technology while providing the best care
- Preparing students for Entry- to-Practice Exam (NCLEX-RN) provided by the NCSBN
- Opportunities for Publication/research
- Nursing programs accreditation
What happens when I join?
- When joining the Peer Network, Faculty members will be asked to complete a brief survey at the beginning and conclusion of their participation in the mentoring program.
- Nursing Faculty and the Peer Leader collaborate to develop a Learning Plan (Goals, Activities, Outcomes).
- Peer Leaders will provide reports to CASN on mentorship/coaching activities at three points over the course of the year as a Peer Leader. The reports will include a description of learning goals of each nursing faculty colleague, planned and completed activities, and outcomes that the Peer Leader has observed.
- Nursing Faculty can connect with a Peer Leader By Distance: (toll free teleconference, Go-To-Meetings online, webinars, telephone, Skype, etc.) OR In person: F2F with a PL from their school, or at a school nearby.
To Connect with the Peer Leader in Alberta, Please Contact Dr. Manal Kleib at email@example.com OR contact CASN at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, click HERE.
Canada Council for the Arts 2016 Molson Prizes
These prizes recognize lifetime achievements of artists and scholars whose work brings new insights and understanding to Canadians.
- Two awards: 1 in the Arts, 1 in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- New Canada Council deadline: November 1, 2015
- Must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada
- Must have made a substantial and distinguished contribution over a significant period
Candidates will need a nominator to champion the file and prepare the materials. There is no institutional quota or internal adjudication.
Nomination guidelines and requirements are available HERE.
Congratulations to Dr. Carole Estabrooks for her success in the 2015 CIHR Transitional Operating Grant competition.