RSO – ECHA Hours
Beginning January 18, 2018, Pat Jones, Research Facilitator with the Research Services Office, will hold regular office hours in ECHA. All faculty members, trainees, and administrators are encouraged to stop by to ask questions or talk about procedures, processes, policies, or funding opportunities.
Dates: 3rd Thursday of every month, beginning January 18, 2018
Times: 1:30 – 4:30 p.m.
Location: ECHA 5-174
For inquiries any time, Pat can be reached via email at email@example.com or by phone at 780.492.1576.
Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists
Nominations for the Royal Society of Canada’s College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists are now open!
The College is Canada’s first national system of multidisciplinary recognition for the emerging generation of Canadian intellectual leadership. Members are at an early stage in their careers and have demonstrated a high level of achievement. The criterion for election is excellence, encompassing the RSC’s goals of diversity and inclusivity.
The University of Alberta has an excellent record of elected RSC College members over the past four years: Chris Andersen, Justin Ezekowitz, Duane Froese, Darren Grant, Nick Holt, Zamaneh Kassiri, Patrick MacDonald, Jonathan Martin, Keavy Martin, Candace Nykiforuk, Lynne Postovit, Shannon Scott, and Chloë Taylor.
Nominations to the College of New Scholars, Artists and Scientists may be initiated by Members of the College and Fellows of the RSC. There is no limit to the number of nominations allowed from Members or Fellows.
- For the 2018 cohort, candidates must have received their PhD or equivalent no earlier than January 1, 2003 (click HERE for exceptions).
- Candidates must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents at the time of their nomination.
- New requirement: Candidates must provide a 500-word statement about how their work will contribute to the College during their seven-year term.
- Nomination Protocols & Procedures (including nomination form)
- Components of a Nomination
- Frequently Asked Questions
RSC nomination deadline: March 8, 2018
U of A Internal Timeline:
Monday, January 8, 2018—notify Kate Ballash (firstname.lastname@example.org) about nominations being prepared, and advise whether proofreading/internal review is requested.
Wednesday, February 7, 4:00 p.m.—send draft nominations to Kate for proofreading and for review by U of A reviewers if previously requested (both services are optional but recommended).
Wednesday, February 21—Kate to send reviewer comments to nominators.
Monday, March 5, 9:00 a.m.—final, complete nominations to be sent to Kate if nominators wish the VPR Office to submit nominations to the RSC. If nominators prefer to submit their nominations directly, the RSC deadline is Thursday, March 8, 2018.
Are you Reviewing Fall 2017 Project Applications for CIHR?
A message from the Grant Assist Program (HS):
We would like to build on the expertise of University of Alberta researchers who reviewed for the Fall 2017 Project competition. We aim to collect, compile, and summarize your insights, and share that information with individuals applying to the March 2018 Project competition.
Are you reviewing Fall 2017 Project applications for CIHR? Would you be willing to share your experience to assist those submitting Project applications in March 2018? If so, we would appreciate hearing from you.
There are three potential ways to contribute your insights:
- Join us for homemade dessert at 1:30 pm on Tuesday, January 9th (RSVP required) to discuss your insights with us and other reviewers.
- Schedule an individual phone call or meeting with us and we will record and summarize your feedback.
- Submit a written summary of your experience and suggestions for applicants.
For additional information or to indicate the way that you prefer to share your insights, contact Joanne Simala at 780-492-1566 or email@example.com